Thursday, October 13, 2011

Week 7

Watched me some good ol' Nebraska soccer this past week. Although I have yet to see the Huskers win a home game the team looks pretty good, despite some poor goalkeeping.


This past week my life has been consumed with my first written memo writing assignment for Legal Research and Writing. I wrote an 11 page analysis of the possibility of charging an individual for arson. The difficult part was including all the relevant facts and elements in only 11 pages of writing (At one point I had upwards of 15 pages written). My intent was to have my memorandum finished by Friday evening so I could enjoy the General Conference Weekend, but sadly it did not get finished in time. Hence, those who drove by the institute late at night Saturday and Sunday may have noticed an upstairs light on.

However, I did take the time to set aside my memo for all 10 hrs and 5 sessions of conference. Wasn't if wonderful!? I felt moved by the many talks that hit close to home for me in my new circumstances. Among my favorite talks was Elder Tad R Callister's "The Book of Mormon - A Book from God".


What many people don't know is that Elder Callister is among the few lawyers that inspired me to attend law school. As a missionary I remember hearing his talk "Joseph Smith - Prophet of the Restoration" and felt that what he was speaking was undeniably true. Later, as I studied over his words it was confirmed to me that what he had taught was true, and that Joseph Smith is in all reality a modern Prophet of God. Elder Callister presents unarguable positions of church doctrine that make so much sense to me that I developed the desire to obtain a legal education to think in a similar manner.

I also enjoyed Sister Dalton's talk as well as Elder Holland's. Elder Holland gave a similar lecture to the missionaries of the Washington Kennewick Mission while I was there in November 2010. It was there that he shared that we must not let our "tongues be bound" like Satan attempted to do to the Prophet Joseph.

I've had some wonderful experiences as of late with regards to missionary work. Unlike Washington where most people at least knew what a Mormon was, Nebraska has many who have never heard of the faith, or have almost no knowledge of our beliefs. My friend Leslie often asks questions in class about Mormonism, and on occasion as it comes up in her conversations with others will text me random questions about the church. It has been a blessing to have the opportunity to share my faith with others. Leslie, and others in our law class, now refer to me as "Caleb, the Mormon" - and I'm quite fond of it actually. One teacher who called on me actually stuttered to refrain from saying "the Mormon" after she said my name.

With renewed spirits from General Conference I am ready to get back to my studies. I hope you all were able to enjoy the spirit of general conference, and that it has had an impact on you like it has on me. If you missed any portion of the conference the messages are available online at lds.org or will soon be available in the Ensign. Love you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment